Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Its been so long!


Oh my goodness, I can't believe that it has been over 2 months since I last blogged! I have been so incredibly busy with school and cooking that I haven't even thought about it! I'm going to try and keep up with it this semester since I have some time and my schedule is a little bit more routine. My roommate is going to be the reason I keep doing this! She is my reminder! The first recipe I decided to include on my first blog back from the hiatus is this fantastic chocolate truffle cake. I made it for one of my roommate's birthday and it was awesome but so rich that a sliver is just enough. The recipe looks a tad daunting but if you follow it step by step it will turn out just fine.

Chocolate Truffle Cake

2 8oz. packages unsweetened-chocolate squares (16 1-ounce squares)
1 cup plus 6 tablespoons margarine or butter (2 3/4 sticks), at room temperature
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
10 1-ounce squares semi-sweet chocolate

1. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans with butter. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. In heavy 4-quart saucepan over low heat, heat 12 squares unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, and 2 1/2 cups water, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly
3. In large bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in chocolate. (it's best to temper the egg mixture first by adding small amounts of the chocolate mixture to bring the eggs up to temperature so they don't scramble)
4. To chocolate mixture, add flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; continue beating with wire whisk or fork until batter is smooth and well blended.
5. Pour batter into cake pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool cakes completely on wire racks.
6. Meanwhile, prepare truffle mixture: In heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat remaining 4 squares unsweetened chocolate, stirring frequently, until melted; cool slightly. With spoon, stir in confectioners' sugar, remaining 6 tablespoons margarine or butter (3/4 stick), and 1/4 cup heavy cream until mixture is smooth and blended.
7. Prepare glaze: In heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat, heat 8 squares semisweet chocolate and remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream, stirring frequently, until melted, smooth, and slightly thickened; keep warm.
8. Assemble the cake: with metal spatula spread 1 cake layer with 1/2 cup truffle mixture. Top with second cake layer, pressing down gently but firmly. Spread with another 1/2 cup truffle mixture; top with third cake layer.
9. Glaze the cake: Over assembled cake, pour prepared glaze. With metal spatula, spread glaze to completely cover top and side of cake.
10. Remove cake off of cooling rack and place on cake plate. Pipe with remaining truffle mixture if you want.
*I took 1 of the semisweet squares, chopped it up and sprinkled it over the top.

So yummy!!!

Well I hope you enjoy this one! I'm off to get some sleep before going to Georgia tomorrow for a clinical site!

No comments:

Post a Comment